Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Doughnut Muffins

Our new vacuum sucks. Thats a good thing, a really good thing. When we moved here from the city, we'd never owned a vacuum of our own, either of us so when we received one as a housewarming gift, we were in second heaven. It was a small Hoover and it was not prepared to handle our house, 2 cats a dog and Eric. During our Christmas cleanup, it gave up and died. Today we went to Lowes for paint and came home with a new vacuum. It works really well, and that has us very excited, something neither of us would have expected 2 boyears ago when we moved in. When we moved in we'd been married less than a year, moved into our first house from a 400 square foot studio in downtown San Francisco. It was safe to say that a new vacuum was not at the forefront of the excitement list. Actually it sounds more like the plot of a bad sit com; city couple moves to the burbs, tries to fit in and get excited about things like vacuums and cooking but the reality is that we've been growing up. Yikes! Who let that happen? Something we pondered over a morning muffin that tasted like the best sugar doughnut ever. Thats right we had muffins for breakfast that taste like doughnuts, eat your heart out city life, unless you are a great muffin shop, then make room, we're on our way!







Doughnut Muffins
What You Will Need

24 Tbs unsalted butter
1-3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
6 cups flour
1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1-2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup buttermilk

For Topping

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs cinnamon 

Preheat oven to 350*

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs one at a time and mix until well combined.  Sift together dry ingredients and mix into egg mixture alternating between the milk and buttermilk until all is incorporated. 

Grease and flour muffin tins and scoop batter until it is even with the rim of the cup. Bake about 30-35 minutes until set and muffin tops are firm to the touch. 
Let cool until your able to handle. 

In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon. Dip each muffin top into the melted butter then generously coat into the sugar mixture. 

adapted from finecooking.com 

27 comments:

  1. Grown up stuff....it sneaks up on you. ;)

    Delicious muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, gorgeous photos! I mean, they're always gorgeous, but if it's possible, they're even more gorgeous today! :)

    And yes, the grown-up things sneak up on you. One day you are so excited at the thought of a well-functioning vacuum, then you realize a few years ago you wouldn't have cared about that sort of thing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRILLANT! and I agree with the comment above, your pictures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long time favorite that was all but forgotten. Thanks for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fantastic! One of my favorites. Makes me forget about vacuum woes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look marvelous! We've got to upgrade vaccuums soon so feel your pain. Congrats on your new one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they look incredible...I know my kids would love these for breakfast (husband, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny that the older we get, the more trivial things bring us joy? (Not that a vacuum is trivila, mind you!)

    I have made something similar to these called "French Puffs." I want to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doughnut and muffin in one ? :) I love the idea :) they look really delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need a new vacuum too...we also just moved into a house from a tiny apartment and we have 3 cats (but I think my hubby messes up the house more lol). And I've tried these donut muffins before once. They were amazing. Your pictures are really enticing me to make them again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom used to make these. They were awesome. Dan has decided to call them Doughfins or Muffnuts. Take your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these looks soooooo tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I'm not into doughnuts or muffins....but THESE look great! Seriously tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delicious :)
    "moving art from the canvas to the plate" love this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so delicious and pretty! I'll haveone with my tea, please.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's my kind of breakfast too! :) Love your blog! I'm following now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look amazing , have to try this one out .

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've made something very similar to these in the past but they were filled with apple butter. They were absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my deliciousness!!! These look amazing! I need to make these : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! Muffin and doughnuts together......wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know you've graduated to adulthood when you buy your first vacuum cleaner :D I'd like doughnuts better if they didn't ooze grease when you bite into them. These seem the perfect solution - all delicious doughnut-ness, no deep fat frying.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found my way here from moderateoven.com -- and these muffins are fabulous. They also freeze, thaw, and still taste fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, these look amazing! I love anything muffin - they're the perfect size. I'm definitely going to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete